A Message from Interim Dean Meghan Rehbein to New Students
A Welcome from Interim Dean Meghan Rehbein to New Douglass Students
Dear New Douglass Students,
Welcome to the Fall 2022 semester and congratulations on taking the bold step of choosing the Douglass difference!
As a Douglass student, you will benefit from an educational track of academic and co-curricular programming that helps you acclimate to college life, excel in your classes, and build your resume for Rutgers and beyond. Our students participate in a range of programming in the following categories: Douglass Discovery (research), Career Development, Knowledge and Power (women's empowerment), Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and Residential and Community Engagement. At Douglass we foster creativity. There are no boundaries to what you can create. From meeting new peers to discovering new passions, I hope that you’ll find this year to be professionally enriching, intellectually fulfilling, and of course, fun!
Research shows that students that have the most positive experience, and stay though graduation, are those who find a sense of connection. As a first-year student there are a few important things you can do to find your “people” and get engaged:
- Join at least one student club/organization – you can find a listing of all Douglass student organizations and their contact information here.
- Attend Douglass programming – data shows that going to just a few events throughout the semester makes a significant difference in a students’ level of satisfaction with their college experience. See our calendar of events here.
- Schedule an appointment or drop by Carpendar Hall to meet your advisor/staff mentor who can connect you to academic programs, opportunities for career and leadership development, and University resources. Meet the staff mentors.
- Look for the “Douglass Delivers” in your inbox every week. Our student e-newsletter will have the latest information on Douglass events, activities, and application opportunities. In addition to highlighting ongoing workshops, webinars, and opportunities, the Douglass Delivers provides “Save the Date” notices for important in-person events, such as the upcoming:
- Hispanic & Latinx Heritage Month Kick-off Celebration on September 16
- Christiana Foglio DC’84 Douglass Career Conference on October 1
- Project SUPER Symposium and STEM Lecture on October 14
- Follow us on social media: @rudouglass
Whatever path you choose, at Douglass, you can draw upon a dedicated network of staff, peers, and mentors to guide you along the way. If you need any help please reach out to your staff mentor.
Once again, I welcome you to Douglass College. As the semester gets underway, let’s celebrate this moment and commit to taking the actions that will allow you to realize all the amazing opportunities this year has in store. I’m looking forward to working alongside each of you.
Dr. Meghan Rehbein
Interim Dean at Douglass